Friday, January 28, 2011

What Kind of Diet Defines Me?



(video clip from our last Nutrition Class - "Deciding What's Right for You: Diet Approaches")


Q. What kind of diet defines me?

A. I feel like I've gone through all of it and more. I started dieting when I was 13 years old, when I bit into a fresh tomato and tried to convince myself that the tomato tasted better then ice cream. My favorite thing to do was to browse the health aisle at my local used book shops and buy all the ones that seemed interesting to me. I've done Nutripoints, Mastering the Zone, The Master Cleanse, The Vegan Vega Diet, Only Wine, Cheese, and BreadDiet (that's my own), I have even tried cigarettes! Gross!

Boy am I done! I am finally in the place in my life where I am comfortable in my own skin, I am having fun competing in triathlons, running, swimming, and biking, and if my belly and hips roll out the back side of my 36" speedo one-piece, so be it! (I've complained to Alyssa about this)

I am not defined by my diet, nor do I restrict myself or say "no" to any single foods or beverages.
I eat 5 times a day and I work out 60 - 120 minutes a day too. So I need all of that energy to maintain an active lifestyle.

So, all in all, I encourage you to enjoy your life. Today and tomorrow, one day at a time. Learn to smile when no one else is watching, then you know you really mean it. If diets make you happy because you learn about yourself, then go for it! If you notice that you are getting grumpier by the day and losing your friends in the process, then dump the dieting. It's 2011, a new century of health and wellness. Here's to a happy and healthy YOU!

- emily

No comments:

Post a Comment