Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving "Mashed Potato" Alternative

Recipe: Cauliflower mashed 'potatoes'
Mayoclinic.com
Serves 4

I just went to Don Quiote and bought 3 heads of caulifower for $1.99/pound. I am going to save 2 heads for Thanksgiving and practice with 1 head tomorrow. It's a good idea to practice cooking this new dish, and I think I will serve it to my husband in order to get his "approval" before I serve it to the in-laws. Let me know how yours turns out!

Enjoy!
- Emily

Ingredients

    1 head cauliflower
    1 clove garlic
    1 leek, white only, split in 4 pieces
    1 tablespoon soft-tub margarine, nonhydrogenated
    Pepper to taste

Directions

Break cauliflower into small pieces. In a good-sized saucepan, steam cauliflower, garlic and leeks in water until completely tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. While cauliflower is hot, puree until the vegetables resemble mashed potatoes. (Use a food processor, of if you prefer a smoother texture, use a blender. Process only a small portion at a time, holding the blender lid on firmly with a tea towel.) Add a little hot water if vegetables seem dry. Stir in margarine and pepper to taste.

Nutritional Analysis

(per serving)
Calories67 Cholesterol0 mg
Protein2 g Sodium75 mg
Carbohydrate9 g Fiber3 g
Total fat3 g Potassium372
Saturated fat0.5 g Calcium39
Monounsaturated fat1.5 g

No comments:

Post a Comment